Redirect stdout from SSH

Hello list,

I am writing a program in C# that calls some cygwin programs and redirects
the standard output and error to a textbox. This works excellent with
calls like "ls -al" or rsync.

However, I cannot read the output generated by SSH. When I issue a command
like "ssh user@host ls -al" I can observe some network action but the
application stalls, uses 100% CPU and never spits out something. The same
command in the cygwin shell executes with the result expected. Since I use
public key authentication SSH is not waiting for any login information.

Is this a configuration issue of SSH? Thanks for any help. Dave.