Re: how to check what cygwin packages are installed on the system ?

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 04:27:13PM +0200, Gernot Hillier wrote:
>Hi!
>
>Am Dienstag, 3. August 2004 15:46 schrieb Christopher Faylor:

>> >You can also have a look in /etc/setup.
>>
>> And you would do that rather than use the tool designed for providing
>> the information, because...?
>
>... I like to understand roughly how things work (w/o always having to read
>the sources).
>
>... I possibly want to remove the tool.
>
>... I want to double-check the output of the tool when it produces
>inconsistent output or crashes.
>
>(... I didn't read the documentation about that) ;-)

You didn't need to read the documentation.  Corinna mentioned the
correct command.

In general, there is no reason to confuse people who are asking about
the proper way to do something by telling them about the low-level nuts
and bolts no matter how much the nuts and bolts may fascinate you
personally.

You might note that Corinna didn't point the OP to the cygcheck or
setup sources, although she is familiar with each.

>--> This was just thought as some sort of background information hint about
>where this information is actually stored. Especially because it's stored
>human-readable.

Again, there was really no clue that the OP needed or wanted anything
other than a pointer to the correct tool.  You can be assured that
cygcheck will always be able to display the current packages but the
location of /etc/setup and other details like that are subject to
change.  There's no reason to potentially confuse the OP or future
archive divers who are looking for information like this since we make
no guarantees that /etc/setup will always be there.

cgf