Re: mapping root directory to SystemDrive / CurrentDrive

Hi!

Am Dienstag, 3. August 2004 13:50 schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
> > Because I think it's not good when in such a situation open("/a/b")
> > refers to another file than stat("/a/b").
>
> Actually it doesn't in the first place.  stat() tries to open the file
> first, the same as when calling open().  But since the file doesn't exist,
> opening it fails and stat() falls back to standard Win32 calls which treat
> the path differently, as you observed.  If we wouldn't do that, another
> problem would occur; stat() would fail in cases where it shouldn't.  Ok,
> there might be a way to workaround that, but it would require somebody
> interested to patch it. http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PTC

Ah, thanks for the explanation!

> > I can imagine quite some problems caused in Linux programs by such
> > behaviour of the system...
>
> Keep in mind that this only happens if / isn't mounted -> back to
> undocumented behaviour.

Well, this is not undocumented. The case without mounts is explicitly
documented on http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html which says "By
default, the POSIX root / points to the system partition [...]".

And this is (IMHO) a little bit in contrary to the current stat() behaviour...

But I certainly can see and understand your point that it requires some work
which is not done yet... ;-)

--
Thx again,

Gernot Hillier