Re: cygwin1.dll problem with Hyperthreaded machines (reprise)

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 10:59:28AM -0400, Larry Hall wrote:
>At 02:10 PM 7/30/2004, you wrote:

>>Larry,
>>
>>this may be a language thing - English is not my native language) -
>>but the script I provided does show the stated behaviour -it provides
>>enough load in and of itself.   As I said, it sometimes fails after
>>50 or so iterations, sometimes after 15000, but it does fail - and
>>the machine is running no additional load  (of course, there is the
>>usual plethora of programs, like Firewall, Virus scanner, etc)  The
>>script is not run in a Cygwin box, but from windows using  bash
>>httest.bash
>>
>>#!/bin/bash
>>declare -ix ITER;
>>while :; do
>>  `let ITER=0`
>>  mypwd=`pwd`
>>  if test -z "$mypwd"; then
>>     echo "Test failed, mypwd is empty"
>>     exit 1
>>  else
>>     ITER=ITER+1
>>     echo "Next iteration is $ITER"
>>  fi
>>done
>
>FWIW, I can get this to reproduce in some form on my HT box.  For me, it
>hangs as described by Chuck McDevitt in
><http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-04/msg00215.html>.  On my relatively
>slow dual processor without HT (933MHz PIII), I also see the same
>results.  At this point, my input is little more than a "me too" report
>but since I did say I'd try to reproduce it over the weekend, I wanted
>to provide the feedback for those that might be waiting for it.  I plan
>to make an attempt to debug this as time permits but I wouldn't let
>this statement persuade someone from providing Chris or Corinna with a
>machine so they could look at it.

For the record I have never doubted that people were reporting real
problems.  I doubt that Corinna has either.

No more "me toos" are required here.  So, as Larry implied, either
debugging of the problem or the donation of a system is necessary.

cgf