1.5.10: Apache, CGIs giving "User defined signal 2" or silent failure

I'm running Cygwin 1.5.10 on Windows XP Pro, Apache 1.3.29 (Cygwin), gawk 3.1.3
included with Cygwin, and curl 7.11.1 (i686-pc-cygwin). I wrote a simple CGI in
gawk:

#!/bin/gawk -f
BEGIN {
        print "Content-type: text/plain\n"
        cmd = "curl -s http://www.bates.edu/ils";
        #cmd = "awk 'BEGIN{print "Hello World"}'"
        #cmd = "ls -l"

        while(( cmd|getline )>0) print $0
}

If run from the command line, this works fine. If called from a web browser, the
result is empty and the httpd error_log often says:

[notice] child pid 2408 exit signal User defined signal 2 (31)

Sometimes there is no message in the log.

If I commment the first line that starts with "cmd =" and uncomment the 3rd one,
the CGI will run and list the directory to the browser window. If I comment the
3rd one and uncomment the second, it fails.

I also tried using Gawk's networking code to fetch the web page, instead of
spawning the 'curl' command to see if creating a subprocess is at fault. Again,
the program works from the command line, but fails as a CGI. This time, the
error message is:

  fatal: can't open two way socket...

Which tells us that the open failed, but not why.

A similar sounding problem was reported in 2001 by Henry S. Thompson:

I am trying to use Cygwin to run our web database project, which was written for
Apache and Unix, under Windows. We haven't the resources to write and maintain a
separate version for Windows. So, running Apache and our CGIs and Sablotron
under Cygwin is our only hope for being able to offer our system to
Windows-based partners. The Unix version of the project can be viewed at
www.watermarkarchive.org/fmxml/mainmenu.xfm

Jim Hart, Project Manager
Academic Technology Support
Information and Library Services