Mkdir: command not found?

Hello

Im trying to play with GNU tools, and Im having trouble getting started.
I havent really played in a unix environment in years.  Have you had a
chance to use them?  Im just following along the pdf at
http://www.microcross.com/gnu-arm7t-microcross.pdf, which says I should
download Cygwin, which I've never used.  You can download it from
http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/.  Just trying to follow the first
steps in that .pdf in Figure 1- Setting up the build environment, typing
'mkdir build-binutils' at the prompt in Cygwin gives 'bash: mkdir:
command not found'

Any ideas why I cant use this simple command?

---+
Joe Bungo
University Relations/Applications Engineer	   ARM, Inc.
Email: Joe.Bungo@arm.com    				   1250 S.
Capital of TX Hwy
WWW: http://www.arm.com            			   Building 3,
Suite 560
Office: 512-732-8071                               Austin, Tx 78746 USA

Cell: 512-293-7324
---+

This e-mail message is intended for the addressee(s) only and may
contain information that is the property of, and/or subject to a
confidentiality agreement between the intended recipient(s), their
organization and/or the ARM Group of Companies. If you are not
an intended recipient of this e-mail message, you should not read,
copy, forward or otherwise distribute or further disclose the
information in it; misuse of the contents of this e-mail message
may violate various laws in your state, country or jurisdiction.
If you have received this e-mail message in error, please contact
the originator of this e-mail message via e-mail and delete all
copies of this message from your computer or network, thank you.