cvs package bug: cannot open val-tags file

[Apologies if this is the wrong place for this bug report - cvshome.org is so impenetrable that I can't even search to see if this is an upstream cvs bug or not.]

In Cygwin CVS 1.11.6-3 (but not 1.11.5-1 or 1.11.0-1), when trying to pull by tag, the following error is encountered:

D:\mozilla>cvs -d //machine/share co -P -r NSPRPUB_PRE_4_2_CLIENT_BRANCH mozilla/nsprpub
cvs checkout: warning: cannot open //machine/share/CVSROOT/val-tags read/write
cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot read //machine/share/CVSROOT/val-tags

Many other CVS operations (checkout, checkin, update) seem to work fine - it's only pulling by tag which fails.

The repository in question is a copy of the Mozilla CVS repository, rsynced to a Win2K machine using Cygwin rsync and then SMB shared as readable and writable by all.

The client machines we tried this on were running Win2K or Win2K3. CVSROOT was "//machine/sharepoint" when we didn't specify it on the command line. CYGWIN was set to "nontsec". The machine can cat and touch the val-tags file on the share - it seems that only the CVS process cannot see it correctly.

We solved the issue by downgrading CVS to 1.11.5-1 using the Cygwin setup.exe, so the problem is not urgent for us.

If more information is required, please ask. I'm subscribed to the digest version of the list, so it may take a day or two to get a response.

Many thanks for your time,

Gerv