Re: cygwin installer

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 08:50:11AM +0200, Franz Wolfhagen wrote:
>Let us move this discussion to the list - I answered directly by a
>mistake...
>
>I understand your concerns very well - in that case I would copy the
>necessary packages to a local download site - create a setup file that
>includes your specific packages only and defaults to install everything
>you have on your site.
>
>This way you will be able to maintain your own site in a controlled
>manner, but still give everybody the possibility to run with cygwin the
>way they prefer....
>
>I also believe that this is MUCH,MUCH easier than developing you own
>installer btw...

Everyone seems to treat setup.exe as if it was a mysterious entity doing
obscure things.  It isn't.

The download part aside, all it does is unpack and install files (tar),
manipulate the mount table (mount), and run post-install scripts (bash).
If you want to just clone the same setup everywhere, all you should need
is tar, cygwin and mount.

0) (Assuming that an 'n:' drive is available on the server)

1) create tar.bz2 file of reference installation.  Put it on a server.

   c:\>tar cjf /cygdrive/n/stuff.tar.bz2 cygwin/bin cygwin/etc cygwin/lib whatever

2) create a "stage" directory on server and copy tar.exe, cygwin1.dll,
   and bzip2 to it.

    c:\>mkdir n:\stage
    c:\>copy bin\tar.exe bin\cygwin1.dll bin\bzip2.exe n:\stage

3) mount -m > n:\stage\mount.bat

4) To clone on another computer:

   c:\>set PATH=n:\stage;%PATH%
   c:\>tar xjf n:\stuff.tar.bz2