[SEMI-OT]: XP SP2 (was: RE: Unable to open files including Korean names)

> Hello from Gregg C Levine
> Actually Gary, its called SP2 RC1, for XP. Its going through that
> phase, with SP1 RC2 due out towards the end of the month, and the
> actual SP2 going to the RTM phase so that its in time to be released
> by the 21 July, date. (If you can believe that.)

I of course cannot. ;-)

> Also, can you tell me, off list, where you got your copy? I was at an
> OEM meeting for that guy's operating system, yesterday. The meeting
> was held here in NYC.

Well, I'll reply to both in case anybody else is interested.  It's available
for download right off of msdn.microsoft.com, 200MB plus tax.  I've only
been using it for a few days now, but everything Cygwin that I use (gcc et
al, perl, rxvt, etc) seems to still work fine.  There's all kinds of massive
security-related changes that I'm guessing could raise hell with a few
programs though.

Helpful hint though to anybody brave/foolish enough to install it: don't
bother reporting any Cygwin problems to Cygwin until SP2 is actually
released; doing so will serve no purpose.  Probably can't hurt to send bug
reports to MS though.

One change that they're making could be a gigantic problem for Cygwin:
Finally, after all these years, Windows will be "keeping the hot side hot
and the cool side cool", or in non-McDLT-speak, tagging program and data
memory areas and preventing code execution in data areas.  This is a good
(fantabulous?) if belated feature, but if I understand fork() correctly
(which I don't), doesn't fork() allocate memory, copy some data and code
over, and jump to the code?  From what I read I think this would no longer
work.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle