[OT] RE: g++ include string.h

#1:  string.h has nothing to do with the c++ string class.  string.h is the
old c-style functions, string (no extension) contains the C++ string class.

#2: If a header file wasn't found, the compiler would issue an error or
warning, not just silently ignore it.

#3:  All the standard C++ classes live in a namespace called 'std', so you
want to refer to them either as "std::string" or have a "using namespace
std;" statement at the top of your file.

#4:  None of this is remotely cygwin-specific; you want to read a basic
tutorial on C++/stl programming.  There are problems with the rest of your
code as you'll see once you've added the namespace line, but it's all
completely generic c++ stuff and this won't be the right place to bring them
up.

    cheers,
      DaveK