RE: Windows Server 2003 on AMD64 -- Making it work

Yea, that would help a great deal.

-----Original Message-----
From: Nathan Laredo [mailto:nlaredo@transmeta.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 3:08 PM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com; Benson Margulies; tprince@computer.org
Subject: Re: Windows Server 2003 on AMD64 -- Making it work

Hi,

If you simply want to get cygwin working on amd64 windows, create a
cygwin.cmd in addition to your current C:\cygwin\cygwin.bat and make it
do the following:

@echo off
C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\cmd.exe /c C:\cygwin\cygwin.bat

Then, point your cygwin icon/shortcuts at cygwin.cmd and you'll be all
set to go.

I'm looking forward to the 64-bit native version of cygwin, but since
the current version isn't it, you can make it work with the above
wrapper script.   You can then use the 32-bit cygwin to setup a
64-bit cross-compiling environment by rebuilding gcc/binutils/etc.

I wish I had more time to spend on this.

-- Nathan Laredo

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 07:37:56PM -0800, Tim Prince wrote:
> At 10:12 AM 1/18/2004, Benson Margulies wrote:
>
> >TWIMC,
> >
> >Some time ago, I reported that fork() didn't work when running the
> >current cygwin distro on the AMD64 on Windows. At the time, I
> >debugged far enough to get an approximate picture of what Cygwin was
> >doing with VirtualXXX calls to implement fork, and I posted some
> >questions in the hopes of understanding it well enough to try to make

> >a fix. As far as I could see, I didn't get a reply.
> >
> >To summarize, it seemed to me as if the code was making some
> >assumptions about what virtual addresses ranges would be available
> >and assigned under certain conditions related to fork, and that these

> >assumptions were not valid on the AMD64, leading to failures.
> >
> >Presumably, a ground-rule of Cygwin is to program only to the
> >documented Win32 API, and not to resort to the NT API substrate as
> >illustrated in Nebbett.
> >
> >In any case, the offer is still open; if someone would be so kind as
> >to offer up a summary of the design of fork(), I'd be willing to make

> >some effort to diagnose and propose mods to adapt it.
> >

> Since this hasn't been answered by more knowledgeable people, I'll
> stick my
> neck out.  No, I don't believe anyone has found satisfactory support
for
> fork() within the documented Win32 API.  Thus, cygwin is easily broken
by
> changes which Microsoft has made in the various "64-bit" Windows
> versions.  I do believe Cygwin has ground rules of running only on
released
> Windows versions for which cgf has been provided a working hardware
> platform.   If you're talking about the Physical Address Extension
Windows
> with 48-bit virtual/40-bit physical- addressing for AMD64, that meets
> neither of those criteria.  Apparently, no one has been willing to
provide
> any "64-bit" Windows hardware for the Cygwin project, even for the
released
> ia64 Windows. If you don't have more time than I to look at the source
and
> try to understand how fork() was implemented, I think you're wasting
> bandwidth.  Likewise, if you're proposing supporting a version of
Windows