signal issue

I try to kill a process under cygwin. The main process
need to kill one its child process. The child process
is playing a music using :
  system("cat phrase3.wav > /dev/dsp ");

The main process code is (pidChild is correst) :
  kill(SIGKILL, pidChild);

I tried with SIGUSR2 (with a function associated to
the SIGUSR2 signal) : same result.

The opposite is working (child process sending a
SIGURS1 to its father - the father receive the signal
and call the matching function).

Does cygwin has a problem to recieve a signal when a
problem a process is busy (command system) ?

Chris (french guy)