Re: How to set the colors of terminfo's standout mode?

At 03:05 a.m. 27/04/2004, Frank Slootweg wrote:
Please?

On April 20, I wrote:

>   How can I set the colors of terminfo's standout (smso, so) mode?
>
>   I have a terminfo application (tin, the newsreader) which, as far as

[snip]

>   I now rebuilt (configure,/make, compile, link, etc.) the application
> on Cygwin 1.5.9. That new version displays standout mode as light-grey
> text on a dark-grey background, i.e. little contrast and very hard to
> read.
>
>   Basically I want the old behaviour (white-on-black) on Cygwin 1.5.9,
> but have no idea how/where that can be set.

Have you read the man page? Particularly the section titled:

"GLOBAL OPTIONS MENU AND TINRC CONFIGURABLE VARIABLES"

where it documents how you can set up screen colors by editing tinrc? My knowledge on this topic stops here (I use slrn with jwk patches, best offline news reading I've done ever). I just happen to have tin's man page in /var/spool/cache/man/cat1 yet [1]).

>   Some more information: The application is started from a "Command
> Prompt" 'DOS' window, i.e. not from a (bash) shell. However when I do

[snip]

If you are running in a plain Windows console with command.com or cmd.exe as shell, you should not set TERM to cygwin but to something more appropriate such as 'pccons'. Heck, anything in /usr/share/terminfo/p/ with a name starting on 'pc' would be more appropriate.

I can understand that you have some resistance to using the supplied start up icon because it is wasteful. As it runs a batch file that in turn runs the shell, namely bash, you are in practice running *two* applications instead of one. That is, for each bash or preferred shell session you start, you are running a copy of the default windows command processor (cmd.exe in my case).

For example in my system, a default bash session takes 4552Kb for bash.exe plus 1152Kb for the attached cmd.exe. I solved this issue by setting a system wide value of "CYGWIN=tty" and then using direct shortcuts, as in right-click on desktop, "create shortcut" and giving "c:\cygwin\bin\zsh.exe -i -l" as the running comand and "c:\cygwin\bin" as the default execution directory, so that zsh finds cygwin1.dll. I don't have cygwin directories exposed to the win32 system; in general you don't need them in your system path unless you have very particular needs.

[1] BTW, there is already an "official" binary of tin you can download from the mirrors with setup.exe. Unless you are using the latest unstable, of course...

--
Alejandro López-Valencia
http://dradul.tripod.com/