Bash shell on Zip disk/ CDROM

Intro--I'm not much of computer wiz--I just follow instructions (a little like the dumb box itself, I guess!).  I could
not find relevant answers in the cygwin archives.

        I have been using the bash shell for compiling programs in c since fall of 2002 (version?).  Sometime before a
hard-drive crash I had loaded the program onto a 750 MB Zip disk and was able to run it from there.  Since reloading Win
98 onto my computer, however, I can no longer run the bash shell:  I get an error message:

        warning: could not find  /tmp, please create!
        bash-2.05b$

        How, and where, do I create the tmp directory?  Do I need to edit the cygwin.bat file on the disk?  Apparently,
the Zip disk version was still dependent on something on my hard drive which is no longer present.  How can I correct
this to make the program stand-alone from the Zip disk?

        Related to this:  Can I put the program onto a CD and run it from there, or does it require writeable sectors to
function?

Thanks!
Leonard Williams