Re: cygwin install failing at download/progress stage

At 05:22 PM 4/14/2004, you wrote:
>Larry Hall - cygwin-lh@cygwin.com wrote:

Didn't I mention about this last time?
<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>

>>>get_url_to_membuf failed!
>>>2004/03/24 00:48:36 mbox note: Unable to get setup.ini from <ftp://ftp.cise.ufl.edu/pub/mirrors/cygwin>
>>>2004/03/24 00:48:41 site: ftp://ftp.easynet.be/cygwin
>>>get_url_to_membuf ftp://ftp.easynet.be/cygwin/setup.bz2
>>>getUrlToStream ftp://ftp.easynet.be/cygwin/setup.bz2
>>>

>>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>But this one looks OK.
>>

>>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>>Is this actually the log from a failed run?  There's only 7 seconds between
>>getting the setup.ini and the end of the install.  Or are you saying you're
>>not picking any packages beyond the default?
>>

>That's the log from a failed run. It just hangs there on the download screen saying "Downloading... setup.bz2  Connecting...  Progress:"  With no progress. Then a window comes up. When I just tried it now it said: "Internet Error" in the title and "550 /cygwin/setup.bz2: Not a directory" in the message.  The original setup window still hangs there after I click "OK". (Its been hanging there the whole time I have been typing this) and this second a second window poped up with "550 /cygwin/setup.ini: Not a directory" followed by "Cygwin Setup: Unable to get setup.ini from "ftp://ftp.easynet.be/cygwin>".  I try another one and get a similar response (am trying again now). The date on the log file is a month old though so I am wondering if it is writing anything now or if the text there is from when I started trying to install it.
>Deleting the log and trying again does not reproduce the log. I run setup from c:\download and look for the log file in c:\cygwin\var\log.

This sounds strange.  Something's not quite right there.  You should be
getting a new log every time you run.  Try looking around for it.  Maybe
it's not ending up where it's expected.

As far as the setup.[ini|bz2] goes, this still sounds like a networking
problem to me.  Why don't you try to grab the file yourself through your
browser and see if it's successful.  I'm guessing you'll have the same
problem.

>It won't help me with updates, but I still should have my original installation on another drive from before my upgrade to XP. I wonder if I can get that going though it would be nice to be able to get pudates and new packages.

Hm, this may be part of your problem.  You might want to look at:

How do I uninstall all of Cygwin?
<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_2.html#SEC19>

Holliston, MA 01746