Re: Environment variables for DOS programs

At 03:03 PM 4/7/2004, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
> From my Cygwin terminal, I want to call DOS programs  which require
>some environment variables to be set properly (such as the commandline
>utility *link.exe* of Visual Studio) for current session.
>
>Unfortunately, this was not possible by simply setting the variables in
>the shell (I am using tcsh). Link.exe refuses to see the environment
>variables defined in tcsh. Is this the desired behaviour?  Is there
>anyway to make the DOS programs see the environment variables in Cygwin
>shells? Or am I making a fundamental mistake in expecting such a behaviour?

Sorry, I don't have tcsh installed but I tried this from bash:

# export FOO=bar
# cmd
Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
(C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

D:\>echo %FOO%
echo %FOO%
bar

D:\>

So there's not a generic issue here.  If something like this doesn't
work with tcsh, then the problem is there.  Otherwise, it's in 'link.exe'

HTH,

Holliston, MA 01746