RE: Bogus assumption prevents d2u/u2d/conv/etal working on mixed files.

I don't think the behavior should be changed. d2u stands for dos to unix
which means \r\n to \n.  Why would one expect a dos to unix utility to
convert mixed line terminator files.  If you need such a utility, then add
one but don't take a utility that does dos to unix and try to turn it in to
"anything" to unix or if you do then change the name. Just my 2 cents worth