Re: sshd as a substitute for the suid bit on executables...

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Mar 23 08:22, Richard Troy wrote:
> > One additional challenge that has just occurred to me in my particular
> > scenario is that in ordinary useage on Unix, my program that runs under
> > the suid bit eventually launches a Java program that creates display
> > windows and attaches to the keyboard/mouse in the usual way and the user
> > never knows it's running as the file owner and not them. Before I go
>
> Google is your friend.  Search for "Allow service to interact with desktop".

Corinna,

your solution looks to be the only thing that can be done today without
writing code - or, at least, nothing significant: I've tested the solution
and it works fine, though you do have to tollerate this stupid, empty sshd
popup window. If you close the window, sshd exits, though you can reset
the window properties to make it tiny and it will remember them if you ask
it to - on W2kPro, at least. You have to create a spare "dummy account"
you won't ever log into and have a "transferr" program available (or
modify your target) in order to catch the command line sent to it by
sshd/bash (it'll get -c <full command line>)

For those that may search the archives behind me and want a full
articulation, in a few minutes I'll make a post that outlines the whole
thing, top to bottom.

Thanks Corinna!  (And Igor!)

Richard

--