Re: Crash of mysql under cygwin with g++ 3.3.1

Hallo Gerrit,

thanks a lot for your help, now I have it working properly, with a statically
linked client and I only need to tell users to use the cygwin1.dll.

I only had to do a small work-around because my client keeps telling me that it
"cannot connect through /var/mysql/mysql.sock". The workaround is
to use mysql_real_connect with host=127.0.0.1 because if I use
"localhost" it turns to named pipes instead of using TCP. Any idea why it
is that way?

Reagrds,
Fabrice

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

Hallo Fabrice,

Am Samstag, 28. Februar 2004 um 13:38 schriebst du:

Hallo Gerrit,

thanks for your help. I think I will now use your compiled libs instead of
those provided by the MYSQL installer.

I still have a couple question if I want to recompile myself the libraries:

1) as I understand, the mysqlclient.a are compiled from the MYSQL source
tree

Yes.

2) where does the cygmysqlclient.dll library come from? Is it also
compiled from the MYSQL source tree?

Yes, this is the shared library which is created from the MySQL sources, the libmysqlclient.a is the static archive created from the same sources and the libmysqlclient.dll.a is the import library used to link executables against the shared runtime library.

3) if I want to ship my MYSQL client that has been linked with libmysqlclient.a, I need cygwin.dll because my client is compiled under
cygwin. If I am right I need to ship also cygmysqlclient.dll. Since the
customer will have MYSQL installed, I am afraid that there could be a
conflict with HIS libMySQL.dll, is that possible?

If you link against the static archive (libmysqlclient.a), you won't need the DLL, if you link with `-L/usr/lib/mysql -lmysqlclient`, the import library (libmysqlclient.dll.a) is picked at first by the linker and the executable is finally linked against the shared library. There should be no conflicts. To be safe, tell your users that you deliver a cygwin1.dll and that it is not possible to use two Cygwin runtime libraries at the same time.

Gerrit

Fabrice Marchal http://www.inf.ethz.ch/~marchal fabrice.marchal@ieee.org marchal@inf.ethz.ch +41-(0)1-632-56-79
ETH Zurich, CoLab Computational Laboratory FAX:+41-(0)1-632-17-03