Re: cygpath bug (windows 2000)

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 11:22:38AM -0000, Hughes, Bill wrote:
>> Sent: 27 February 2004 10:43 From: Christian Matuszewski
>>cgf says:
>>>Try the latest snapshot <http://cygwin.com/snapshots/>.
>>
>>Thank you very much, now cygpath doesn't crash anymore.
>>
>>But is it necessary, that cygpath gives the error message: cygpath:
>>error converting "/ddd...ddd" - File or path name too long ?  When i
>>think of cygpath as a tool to convert strings, then it should work with
>>paths of arbitrary length.  Is this possible?
>
>Unless Microsoft have changed something there is a maximum path length
>of 255 on windows so cygpath working with arbitrary length strings is a
>bit pointless.

The problem is that some scripts which start a java program use cygpath to
convert the contents of the CLASSPATH variable which is not restricted to some
length.
For example, the start script for ESCJava2 uses:
setenv CLASSPATH `cygpath -p -m ${CLASSPATH}`
I don't see why the length of the input or output of "cygpath -p" should be
restricted. Sure, one could use sed or perl to convert a path list. But isn't
it the "job" of cygpath to convert path lists, too?

Christian Matuszewski