Re: when to rebase?

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Jason Tishler wrote:

> Peter,
>
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 12:52:28PM -0800, Peter A. Castro wrote:
> > On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Jason Tishler wrote:
> > > Unfortunately, rebasing apparently breaks zsh:
> > >
> > >     http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-12/msg00415.html
> >
> > As the zsh maintainer, I'm still waiting for the rebase and gcc
> > maintainers to make a ruling on just where the problem is.  See:
> >
> > http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-02/msg00573.html
>
> FWIW, I just tried the above with Microsoft's rebase and observed the
> same behavior.  Note this is not a "ruling" just another data point.

Well, considering what the root problem is, I wouldn't expect MS's rebase
to work any better than the cygwin version.  However, I would like to see
some cooperation on how to resolve it.  This problem is not specific to
zsh.  It has more to do with how exported symbols are treated/managed.
I'd almost propose that rebase change such symbols' value, being rebase
is the one changing the image base of the dll in the first place.
However, I would really like to understand why this symbol exists and if
there is some way to eliminate it and use the dll's real image base
instead.

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>