RE: What kind of executable is zcat? Crashes from cmd.exe

> >> zcat.exe? It doesn't
> >> see it's 19
> >> UNIX utilities I
> >>
> >> $ ls -l zcat.exe
> >> lrwxrwxrwx    1 rcampbel Users          19 Jan  6 17:06
> >> zcat.exe -> gzip.exe
> >>
> >> As you can see from the ls output, it's a symbolic link
> >> (doesn't work in
> >> cmd).  You can still call gunzip -c (or whatever).
> >
> >I had a similar problem when trying to use gunzip from a cmd prompt
> >outside of a cygwin shell - I was getting illegal ntvdm CPU
> errors. The
> >fix is to replace the softlink with a hard link:
> >
> >$ cd /bin
> >/bin
> >$ ls -l zcat*
> >lrwxrwxrwx    1 lukeb    Users          19 Sep 21 16:29 zcat.exe ->
> >gzip.exe
> >/bin
> >$ rm zcat.exe
> >/bin
> >$ ln gzip.exe zcat.exe
> >/bin
> >$ ls -li zcat* gzip* gunzip*
> >1125899906888251 -rwxr-xr-x+   3 lukeb    Users       62976
> Jul 23  2003
> >gunzip.exe
> >1125899906888251 -rwxr-xr-x+   3 lukeb    Users       62976
> Jul 23  2003
> >gzip.exe
> >1125899906888251 -rwxr-xr-x+   3 lukeb    Users       62976
> Jul 23  2003
> >zcat.exe
> >
> >I would suggest doing the same with any other cygwin
> executable that is
> >a symbolic link that you intend to use "outside" cygwin.
>

> Sure, that's another option but one that eats up disk space if your
> partition isn't formatted for NTFS.  Replacing "ln" with "ln
> -s" in your
> examples above will get you "Windows shortcuts" which you can
> use at the
> command prompt directly, so long as you don't mind typing
> ".lnk" at the
> end of each linked executable.  This assumes you haven't added
> "nowinsymlinks" to your CYGWIN environment variable of course.  This
> approach will save the disk space on non-NTFS partitions.

One other caveat I have found with using hard links (on an NTFS partition)
involves upgrades.  I changed the symlink for ksh.exe -> pdksh.exe to a hard
link.  When an new version of pdksh was installed, it resulted in two non
linked files.  I had the new version as psksh.exe and the old version as
ksh.exe.

Ross