Re: ssh configuration that is pulling my hair out!

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 11:16:26AM -0800, Shankar Unni wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
>>I actually suspect that this is one of many cases where a FAQ entry
>>would be of little help and I'm always wary of adding so much verbiage
>>to the FAQ that it becomes unusable.
>
>I suppose it's the same thought process that prompts people who install
>3rd party products built on top of ancient versions of Cygwin to come
>over here to ask for help with their installation.

Although that is also irritating, I don't see that as the same thing.
In the 3rd party scenario, it's often just someone who wants their
XYZ package to work and have never heard about cygwin.  They notice
that their package doesn't work in some way, notice that it uses
cygwin, do a google search to find out about cygwin, and send email
here.

All of this is despite the fact that by so doing they have to find a
mailing list description which says this:

  o Questions about other Cygwin releases not downloaded from
  http://cygwin.com/ or its mirrors are strongly discouraged.  In theory,
  there should be better forums for discussing this kind of unsponsored
  software than the cygwin mailing list.

This should, in theory, be better than a FAQ since it is *right there*
when you first find out about the mailing list.  This is why I have
little confidence that a FAQ entry will be useful.

The Erdely situation is different, IMO.  Someone downloads cygwin SSH
directly from the cygwin site and finds instructions for installing at
erdelynet.  They don't work so the person bypasses the mailing list at
erdelynet and returns to the cygwin mailing list.  That doesn't make
a lot of sense to me, so I suspect that something else is going on.

cgf