RE: simple newbie init question

  There is no init process under cygwin.

> I want to start PostgreSQL and cvs only when I have the
> Cygwin session window open.

  That'll *really* slow down opening the cygwin bash shell if it has to
start up a couple of heavy-duty servers every time, but it's your choice.

> Where do I put the commands?

~/.bashrc
That is to say, the .bashrc in your $HOME directory.

> I have created a script to start and stop these services from
> the command line, but would really like to automate the process.

See also
http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/postgresql/postgresql-7.4.1.README
which details how you could get the cygwin version of postgresql up and
running as a system service.  I haven't tried that myself so I can't vouch
for it personally but it looks like it ought to work to me....

    cheers,
      DaveK