Re: A month worth of developers time available for cygwin.

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 10:39:08AM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 03:39:03PM +0100, Ronald Landheer-Cieslak wrote:
> >This message is intended mostly for the Cygwin core developers.
> >
> >I will be quitting my job mid februari (the 13th) and moving to Canada where
> >I won't start searching for a job until at least three weeks after our
> >arrival (I'll be looking after my daughter in stead). As I don't expect
> >taking care of my daughter will take all of my time, I have some time left
> >on my hands.
> >
> >I've been using Cygwin for quite a while now and would like to use the time
> >I'll have on my hands to do something useful for Cygwin. Since the last time
> >I wanted to offer my time (which finally didn't work out mostly because my
> >employer didn't want to sign the necessary paperwork) I've gotten the rust
> >off my C++ skills (and haven't let my other development skills rust either).
> >
> >So if you think the project can use a developer for three to four weeks, I'll
> >be happy to help out. Just point me to something you would like me to do :)
>
> It's very nice of you to offer.  I think the biggest thing we could use help
> on is documentation.  Going over the documents, removing obsolete bits,
> clarifying obscure stuff, etc.  I don't want to step on Joshua's toes here so
> maybe he'll correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the docs could use some
> work.

Chris is absolutely right. There are a lot of things that I have not been
able to touch, for example the API Reference needs updating and examples.
Additionally it's a good idea to have someone else read over things since
something that makes sense to me might be nonsense to everyone else.

If this sounds like something you'd be interested in doing, I'd be happy
to help you get a working documentation-build system and answer any questions
about it. I know documentation isn't as "fun" as implementing features, but
it definitely helps users.