Re: Java hello world link error

mauro zallocco wrote:

I noticed that the resulting Test.exe attempts to access the internet.
Is this expected ?
Its trying to access 24.25.4.107 which my getHost tool tells me is
rlghnc-dns-cac-02-dmfe1.nc.rr.com.

It's not unexpected or incorrect, but may be suboptimal.

This host is obviously your DNS host, and the GCJ runtime is apparently attempting to resolve your true host name from the DNS server using your IP address.

The Java runtime insists that InetAddress.getLocalHost() return your true IP address, not "127.0.0.1". Unfortunately, in a dialup setup with automatic connection, such a lookup will trigger your dialer.

The "real" Java runtime has put in some workarounds to prevent such a lookup unless it's really needed (i.e. you use a networking class of some sort, or some other class that needs the "real" hostname and IP address). Perhaps the Gnu java runtime doesn't have such tweaks in it..