This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Fixing Home and Passwd
- From: Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu>
- To: Joaquin <winminion at realmspace dot com>
- Cc: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 12:23:06 -0500 (EST)
- Subject: Re: Fixing Home and Passwd
- References: <000101c3c26e$2cb004b0$c901a8c0@macross>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003, Joaquin wrote:
> After figuring out why my WinXP Pro install blows up mysteriously, I was
> thinking of creating some scripts to patch the scenario when accounts
> have spaces in them.
> I was going to make fixpasswd and fixhome scripts, which essentially
> take the first character and munge it with the first 7 chars of the
> preceeding name, and lower case it all. Thus, "Howard Johnson" would
> become "hjohnson".
> I am wondering though, what else needs to be fixed up?
> - Joaquin
Why not simply replace all spaces in the username and the home directory
with underscores? Beware that HOME may be set to "Documents and
|\ _,,,---,,_ firstname.lastname@example.org
ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ email@example.com
|,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-' Igor Pechtchanski, Ph.D.
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) fL a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-. Meow!
"I have since come to realize that being between your mentor and his route
to the bathroom is a major career booster." -- Patrick Naughton
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html