Re: Cygwin - Locale Support

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Baldev Soor wrote:

> I am new to Cygwin and while browsing some of the mailing lists I came
> across your name.

That's great, but please refrain from sending personal mail to Cygwin
developers and users unless specifically requested.  The policy of the
Cygwin community is that all Cygwin-related questions should go to the
main Cygwin mailing list, which can provide much more expertise than any
one person separately.  For your convenience, I've set the "Reply-To:"
appropriately.

> Perhaps you can help me:
>
> 1. In Unix, I can issue the command "locale" and get indication of what the
> LANG=, LC_CTYPE, LC_COLLATE, LC_NUMERIC, LC-MONETARY, LC_TIME, LC_MESSAGES,
> and LC_ALL are set to.  Is this support in Cygwin?

A search for "bin/locale" on <http://cygwin.com/packages/> returns no
results, which leads me to believe that the "locale" command is not
present in Cygwin.

> 2. In Unix, I can issue "export LANG=en_US " to change the locale settings.
> Is this supported in Cygwin?
>
> Any help is appreciated.
> Regards,
> Baldev.

The man page for "setlocale" states that the current implementation is
minimal and doesn't support any locale values except 'C'.

However, the gettext package does provide this functionality.  So, the
answer is, if the application uses gettext, it will be sensitive to the
LC_* settings.  To find out which applications in your installation use
gettext for messages, run

find /usr/share/locale -name \*.mo | sed 's,.*/LC_MESSAGES/,,' | sort -u

To find out which locale values a particular application supports, first
find out which package the application belongs to by running

cygcheck -f /bin/app    # e.g., cygcheck -f /bin/diff

and then run the following, replacing PKGNAME by the name of the package
from the above command

echo `find /usr/share/locale -name PKGNAME.mo | sed -e 's,^/usr/share/locale/,,' -e 's,/LC_MESSAGES/.*,,'`

Hopefully, Chuck Wilson (the gettext maintainer) will correct me if I'm
wrong.  HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/