Re: CYGICONV-2.DLL was not found during installation

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 17:47:50 -0600 (CST), Brian Ford <ford@vss.fsi.com>
> wrote :
> >Additionally, this probably indicates a dependency bug in some packages
> >setup.hint file.  Although, I don't know a good way to track this down.
> >
> One way to track down such dependencies is to use pedump -i or objdump
> -x on each .exe and .dll in cygwin/bin, then look for the missing DLL
> in the listings.  It's a little complicated to do this, because pedump
> doesn't print the filename it's working on, and I'm not so comfortable
> with putting shell scripts together.
>
> pedump can be found using google.  objdump is in binutils.

Um..., thanks, I guess.  Although, this information is not what I
was unclear about.

cygcheck would be the prefered program to use if one were to
take this route.  It does print the filename it is working on.  But, this
seems to be a very round about method, and I did not want to take
the time to put together said shell script.

I think looking in some setup log file would probably be more fruitfull.
I do not know which one or how, and I do not want to take the time to
figure it out.  Thus, I thought another interested party might chime in.

> HOWEVER, this error does not necessarily indicate a bug in the
> setup.hint file.  I recently had the same sort of problem when
> installing rsync, and the setup information there looks fine.  I think
> it's a bug in the Cygwin setup.exe program:  it looks as though if it
> can't find a dependency, it doesn't necessarily abort, it continues
> without it.

Maybe, but I'll let a setup expert figure that out.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer