Re: Problems with setup handling of gcc-core & gcc-testsuite

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, David A. Cobb wrote:
> Brian Ford wrote:
> >On Sat, 6 Dec 2003, David A. Cobb wrote:
> >>I couldn't find this in the archives, but the two packages gcc-core &
> >>gcc-testsuite, which are distinguished by being source-only,
> >>never get registered as "installed."  Setup has now re-installed them
> >>about 6 times.  I know, I don't need to select them; however,
> >>I figured there was some likelihood they weren't correctly installed the
> >>previous time.
> >>
> >They get selected automatically if one just chooses all->install as I
> >usually do.
> >
> >It is an outstanding bug that has been reported several times in various
> >guises.  See this thread for one of them:
> >
> >http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-11/msg00536.html
> >
> >AFAIK, no one seems to care enough to fix it.
> >
> Well, I read that.  It doesn't sound like the same thing.

Ok.  How `bout this guise?

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2003-11/msg00008.html

> The first time I saw it, I explicitly selected "Install" the gcc-core.
> However, it keeps showing up as something to be installed.
> It still shows with the "new or omitted" packages view.
> My hypothesis is that, because it is a source-only package, setup never
> records it in INSTALLED.DB (?).
> Hey, I can probably edit the database myself - I'm pretty sure it's
> text.  But that wouldn't solve the perceived problem.

I think you are correct, and I think the usual way to fix this is with a
dummy, empty binary package as discussed above.  I don't think there was
an outcome, though.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer