Re: Home-Dir disappears upon password-less rlogin

At 04:39 AM 11/25/2003, Martin Apel you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm having a problem with password-less rlogin on a Windows 2000 machine
>running Cygwin 1.5.5-1. The machine, from which I start rlogin, is listed
>in the hosts.equiv file of the Cygwin machine. I can then login without
>password, but I receive a message
>  "No directory <home-directory>
>which is located on a Samba share. As I soon as I remove the machine name\
>from hosts.equiv, I have to provide a password upon login, but then my home
>directory is accessable. The same applies to rsh.
>Any help would be appreciated.

This has been discussed many times before, though generally in the context of
ssh.  Anyway, the short answer is that you cannot get access to shares that
are not publicly accessible without providing a password.  Without the
password, Windows user authentication doesn't happen so Windows won't give
you access to shares that are user-restricted.  You'll have to provide the
password or open up your shares to all users.

Holliston, MA 01746