ftello loosing upper 32 bits via _lseek64

I know this doesn't belong on cygwin-patches anymore, but is
cygwin-developers, or just plain cygwin more appropriate?

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, J. Johnston wrote:

> Brian Ford wrote:

> >>I think you misunderstood.  fp->_offset is a 64 bit type, but at the
> >>ftello call in question, it contains a value that must have come from a 32
> >>bit sign extension.  That's why I asked for help, because I have to figure
> >>out what/who put it there.
> >>
> > I have attached a test case that shows the problem.  It is on line 58 of
> > lseekr.c.
> >
> > I can't seem to find the actual problem tonight and I'm tired so I'm going
> > home.
> >

> IIRC, Cygwin redirects your calls to the appropriate 64-bit I/O code and thus,
> should not be allowing you to call lseek and should instead redirect your call
> to lseek64.  Now, there isn't currently an lseek64 in the libc/syscalls
> directory which contains syscall wrappers used by Cygwin.  Corinna, if I add the
> appropriate wrappers, would that help or does Cygwin provide its own wrappers?

You are correct.  I was in too big of a rush to go home, and I had a bad
headache.

The problem actually lies at line 61 of newlib/libc/reent/lseek64r.c.
When I look at the return from _lseek64 in gdb, it is correct.
Furthermore, the variable being assinged to (ret) is 64 bit.  But, the
value it gets is truncated at the 32 bit mark.

This seems to be a bit over my head.  I can't see why that would happen
unless it is something like an incorrect/missing prototype issue.  With
the maze of includes, it could take me some time to track that down.

Dig, dig, dig...  Ah yes, looking at the preprocessor output for that
file, there is no _lseek64 prototype.

Next question: How do we get one?

Could someone who knows how Cygwin glues to newlib better than I take a
quick look?  Thanks.

Test case still attached.

--
Brian Ford