Problems with Make, VPATH and MS-DOS paths

Hi,
  I'm having a problem getting MS-DOS paths to work properly with VPATH under
GNU Make 3.80.  The problem is that the VPATH processing tacks on a Unix path
separator ('/') to the end of the VPATH giving me a source file name something
similar to code\src\fw/foo.c.  This is a significant problem for the compiler
I'm using (NOT gcc) since it spits out map and list files based on the stem of
the input source name which it decides is 'fw/foo.c'.  Because of this same
compiler, I cannot use Unix path names under a cygwin shell due to the fact that
it screws up the internal processing of this compiler.  So, I would like to know
if it's possible to get the VPATH processing to use an MS-DOS separator when
generating source file names.  I've tried using the --win32 switch with no
success.

Thanks in advance

Nate Bohlmann (nbohlmann@cso.atmel.com)