RE: Cygwin Setup 99% (fwd)

On Tuesday, October 16, 2003, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> Shrisha,
>
> The Cygwin list does allow posts from non-subscribers, but puts them
> through spam filter checks, and sometimes does not let messages
through.
> To find out how to be able to post without being flooded by e-mail,
see
> <http://cygwin.com/ml/lists.html#rbl-sucks>.  I'm directing the reply
> the list, though.

Thanks.  I hope this message makes it.

> On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Rao, Shrisha wrote:

> > I cannot open a bash shell when the setup hangs, because Windows
reports
> > a "Missing Shortcut" called cygwin.bat.  Suggestions?  Thanks for
your
> > time.

> You can always do a "cd c:\cygwin\bin" and ".\bash.exe --login -i"
from a
> cmd.exe shell, which would be equivalent to the standard cygwin.bat.
The
> above suggested commands can then be run from that shell.

I did that and got a bash shell, thanks much.

However, strangely, the "kill -9 ..." sequence you suggested itself
hangs within this bash shell.  (Actually, when the shell comes up it
does not know the right PATH, but this was easily fixed with
PATH="/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:$PATH".)

Some commands work within the shell and some don't; e.g., tar and bzip2
work separately but tar -xjf doesn't (no error, just hangs).  Likewise,
latex hangs saying "kpathsea: running mktexfmt latexfmt".

Regards,

Shrisha Rao