Re: cygpath hangings

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Brian Ford wrote:
> > >
> > > Actually, if the DLL was loaded, there should be output even if foo isn't
> > > called...
> > >
> > Just linking to it causes a load, or is it the first referance?  I'm a DLL
> > dunce.
>
> I've just verified that the DLL is loaded even if no functions from it are
> called (or variables referenced).  FWIW, here's the code I used:

It has been a while since I ran through this stuff, but I did get that
output in a bash shell after compiling with -mno-cygwin (I think).

> > > This could be because the DLL was not loaded, or because of the two stdio
> > > conflicts...  Did you compile the DLL with -mno-cygwin?
> >
> > No.  I guess you wanted me too? :)
>
> I don't know if it matters, frankly.  It looks like the DLL is loaded, but
> it doesn't load completely.  Maybe something that SHLWAPI.DLL is doing on
> initialization?

I think it might (again, going on my faulty memory).

Does that comment mean you can reproduce this now?  I guess you're just
talking about email observations, right.

> I still suspect the initialization code in SHLWAPI.DLL is doing
> something that Cygwin doesn't like.

Maybe, it is just *very* strange.

Only setup launched from explorer launched bash launched back tick SHLWAPI
base program without input redirection.  Ugh...!  Any change in the above
and the problem goes away. (ie. explorer->setup->bash`SHLWAPI exe #
without < /dev/null`).

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer