Re: various sundry things

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 12:20:12PM -0700, Edward Peschko wrote:
>First of all, I'm looking at my email as/of last night, and although
>given the circumstances I pretty much still think what I said is
>accurate (although the pedant in me cringes at the misuse of the word
>'disabuse'),

disabuse:  "To free from a falsehood or misconception"

Misconception: In your private email to me that the -mwin32 was a
"use-win32 mode" flag.

Misconception: You thought that -mno-cygwin was a flag that needed
to only be passed to the linker.

Misconception: You assumed in private email that the cygwin and
mingw group "can't get along".

Misconception: You think that the '"CC=gcc -mno-cygwin" configure'
option requires adding lots of extra flags on the command line for
proper operation.

>I shouldn't have let my temper get the better of me.

Now, wait.  I thought this was all my fault! I was "unprofessional" and
said something in private email which made you lash out.  Being a
professional, I'm sure you understand the need for a good scapegoat.

>I have to pat myself on the head sometimes and say 'Ed -- diplomacy
>and tact is a *good* thing'.  Sometimes I forget that.

You might want to pat yourself on the head and say "Ed -- I know better
than to post private email to a public forum", as long as you're at it.

By the way, that is strike 1.  I meant to mention that.

>I know pretty much where to go, what to do, and who to talk to in order
>to make an effective MINGW mode for cygwin.  Cultural matters are a
>different matter altogether, which I suspect is the cause of the split
>between mingw and cygwin in the first place.

Just to be clear: there is no animosity between the two groups.  Someone
decided that they didn't want the cygwin DLL in the way for performance
and GPL reasons.  That is a perfectly valid reason for doing native
tools ports.

>And third of all, just to stay slightly on topic here, msys indeed
>has to do with mingw and is therefore a valid topic of discussion
>and a valid place to patch cygwin for a MINGW mode.

To repeat what I said earlier: discussions of msys are not on-topic in
the cygwin mailing list.  Your opinions on the matter are irrelevant.

>If cygwin still thinks it is cygwin on configure, it will pick up the
>wrong compile flags, defines, etc, ie: totally futzing up the build
>process.  Users are either forced to cross-compile - or hack - to make
>it work.

configure won't pick up the wrong compile flags if you use the technique
I mentioned.  configure is smart enough not to make any assumptions
about things like header file locations, despite your assertions to the
contrary.  Your misconception here is puzzling given that you've been
told that people have used this technique with success.

cgf