Re: Cygwin setup stopped @99%

>  From: "G. Oto" <genkiotoko at yahoo dot co dot jp>
>  To: cygwin at cygwin dot com, cygwin-developers at cygwin dot com
>  Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 16:04:38 +0900 (JST)
>  Subject: Cygwin setup stopped @99%

> I followed the instructions on www.cygwin.com on how to install the current
> Cygwin, downloaded the setup.exe and ran it. The installation went well
> until it remained only 1% to the end of the installation. The installation
> suddenly stopped. I tried 3 times but to no avail. (Please refer to the
> attached jpeg file for where the installtion stopped. Clicking the "cancel"
> button displayed "Installation Complete" message and nothing more). Can you
> tell me what to do, please?
> My pc runs on Windows XP with 1024MB RAM and 120GB HDD.

There has been a great deal of correspondence on this issue in the Cygwin
mailing list!  See posts on cygpath and setup hangs.

To complete the installation, start up cygwin and manually run any outstanding
.sh scripts in /etc/setup.  Then rename them to .sh.done, e.g.
mv Xfree86-bin-icons.sh XFree86-bin.icons.sh.done

The hang won't occur if you start setup from a .bat file or any type of
command window.  I circumvent the problem by starting setup.exe from a .bat
file:

--start of setup.bat--
@echo off

C:
chdir C:\cygwin
setup
--end of setup.bat--

(For C:\cygwin, substitute the location of the setup.exe file)