Re: merging mingw and cygwin

Edward Peschko wrote:

touche.. although you could use a mechanism like 'complete' in tcsh to enforce the conversion (complete recognizes things like paths, ip addresses, email addresses, etc.) and enforces conversion by this mechanism. This would work in 95-99% of the cases.

And what of other shells and various other places? Addressing just tcsh doesn't sound like a very robust solution.

Really? How so? 'Cause I'm still able to use -mno-cygwin and produce Windows only executables. Are you not able to do this? If not then why?

Like I said, try:

mingw > gcc -dM -e -xc /dev/null
cygwin > gcc -mno-cygwin -dM -E -xc /dev/null

cygwin makes 73 defines, mingw makes 38. If a large project uses any of the cygwin defines, it will behave differently than if compiled with native mingw.

Just because they are available does not mean you need to use them! Look I asked you if you were able to build Windows only applications using -mno-cygwin. You failed to answer that question. I'm able to build such apps and you should be too. You are arguing about the differences in implementations and assuming that there will be a problem. Is there a problem for you or not?

As I said, this is just the tip of the iceberg - who knows what patches that mingw has made to gcc, ld, make, etc. which could affect the building and running of large win32 packages.

If the large packages built in mingw are tested via mingw, then mingw is the only real way to a 'proper' win32 executable. And the only way to truly emulate mingw32 would be by merging it.

We can speculate from now until forever but until and unless you try it you'll never know for sure. Let us know how you make out...

Maybe the MingW package in Cygwin needs to be updated, however, I fail to see the need for a MINGW or NO_CYGWIN flavor aside from what currently exists (i.e. -mno-cygwin).

Because gcc is not the only place that has MINGW-isms in it; msys departs from the cygwin standard and handles certain things differently. In order to build MinGW packages right, the underlying tools have to work the same as well.

Not sure what msys is at all...

MINGW and/or NO_CYGWIN simply wrap all of this up in a nice user friendly package.

Let us know how your first implementation of this concept goes...
--
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.