Re: Using authentication under Apache for Cygwin

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

Andrew,

Could this be a text vs. binary issue? I'm grasping at straws here... It's good that you've moved everything to the local disk - it helps to eliminate as many variables as possible. Did you get an authenticated access webpage (.html, as opposed to a CGI script) working? Can you initially create the user file in the directory where you're trying to set up authentication (for testing purposes)? Can you show the output of "ls -la" in that directory?

It seems to be an issue of using a UNC path. The following works fine:

<VirtualHost adefaria>
 ServerName adefaria
 ServerAdmin ADeFaria@Salira.com
 DocumentRoot "/var/www/htdocs"
#  DocumentRoot "//sonscentral/users/adefaria/www"
 <Directory "/var/www/htdocs">
#  <Directory "//sonscentral/users/adefaria/www">
   Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews ExecCGI
 </Directory>
<Directory "/var/www/htdocs/addbug">
#<Directory "//sonscentral/users/adefaria/www/addbug">
   Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews ExecCGI
   AllowOverride AuthConfig
   Order allow,deny
   Allow from all
</Directory>

</VirtualHost>

If, however, I uncomment the things like DocumentRoot, etc and comment out their corresponding line then it fails to work. Note that the directory "addbug" was simply copied over so the contents are the same. Text vs. binary does not seem to be the issue.

It's funny because the server itself can get html files from a UNC path but seems to trip up when attempting to get the .htaccess file (I guess).

Note that originally I was not using .htaccess files at all, instead I would code the Auth stuff directly into the <Directory> directive. But that wasn't working. So I switched to trying the .htaccess method. It seems that using .htaccess does not work if the path is a UNC path. Tomorrow I'll try to find out why using Auth... in the <Directory> directive didn't work either.

To me this seems like a bug in Apache for Cygwin. Either it should support UNC paths fully or not at all.

Again, as I said before, when using Apache for Windows (and using UNCs with \\ as Windows likes) it worked fine (with the Auth stuff in <Directory>).

Oh and the observent will not that yes I am using Virtual hosts. Perhaps that's another factor.
===
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.