RE: rsync protocol error

> From: Mark Thornton

> I am attempting to use rsync 2.5.6 to transfer files between two XP
> machines.  On one machine rsync is run as a daemon (either via cygrunsrv
> or just from a bash shell). A copy of a small number of files from the
> daemon machine to my local machine has succeeded, however all attempts
> to transfer anything in the other direction result in a protocol error:
>
> $ rsync --verbose * thornton::test/test
> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (28 bytes read so far)
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
> /tmp/rsync-2.5.6/i
> o.c(165)
>
> Any suggestions welcome.
>
> Mark Thornton

 Use e.g. Ethereal (with the pcap library) and catch the TCP transfers for
both the successful direction of the copy, and then for the unsuccessful.
Use SMALL file(s). Start two copies of ethereal and compare.
(http://www.ethereal.com - free software)

This requires a BASIC understanding of the TCP packet structure from you. I
would say that you can get very far _without_ TCP expertise.

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, B.Sc. EE - 59°16.37'N, 17°12.60'E
-- UTC+01, DST -> UTC+02  --
--END OF MESSAGE--