Re: Installed, Admin can run, other account can't...

At 11:31 AM 9/26/2003 -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

>The "real" fix would be to make setup create the directories with the
>right permissions from the start.  I'm not sure this is possible.
>Perhaps people with more knowledge of ACLs (Pierre, Corinna, CGF?) will
>chime in and offer their opinions...

Sure, but what are the right permissions? Some people objet to giving
access to Everybody. The group name and whether the group should have
write access are matters of local preference.

So setup uses the default inheritable acl of the directory under which
cygwin is installed. It works just fine in most cases. I don't know why
in this case group Users got no rights. This is not a typical factory
default, it was most probably set that way for some local reason.

Perhaps the exit message of setup should be to remind the installer
to verify the permissions (PTC).
Or perhaps that's another test that could be added into /etc/profile,
nagging the user "are you sure this is really what you want".

Pierre