Re: Manipulating user privileges (was Re: SSHD, Cygwin and Windows 2003)

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 01:09:58AM +0100, Chris Rodgers wrote:
> > Btw., the ssh-host-config already creates the sshd account, that's easy
> > from the command line.  But creating a useful sshdproc account as above
> > requires to be able to set user privileges like the famous "Create a
> > token object" privilege.  Does anybody know a way how to do this on the
> > command line which would allow ssh-host-config to do the above more or
> > less automagically?  If such a command line tool doesn't exist as part
> > of NT/2K/XP/03, would anybody be willing to create a simple command line
> > tool for inclusion in Cygwin?  It would be sufficient if that tool could
> > manipulate the above user privileges of an already existing user account.
> >
> > Anybody?
>
> Me.
>
> I have knocked up a small tool to add/remove/list user rights from the
> command line. How do I go about contributing this?
>
> The current (unpolished) version is at http://rodgers.org.uk/EditRights.zip

Cool!  How you can contribute it depends on the licensing and how much
work you are willing to invest.  Do you want to put it under some GPL or
BSD license?  Or do you want to keep everything together as it is?
Then create a package as described under http://cygwin.com/setup.html

The somewhat difficult way would be to put editrights into the Cygwin
package itself.  It requires editrights to be buildable as part of the
Cygwin utils subdirectory (you would have to change your tool a bit...)
and especially it requires editrights to be put under the Cygwin license
and you would have to assign the copyright to Red Hat.  See
http://cygwin.com/contrib.html.

Even though I'd love to see it as a Cygwn tool, I guess the first option
is the easier one.  In that case it should become a package in the 'Base'
category.

Oh, is there a chance to get also a -l option to list existing rights
for a user?!?

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.