Re: Odd perl 5.8.0 error

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

Hello Andrew,

All of a sudden a Perl script of mine that has been working fine for a
long time stopped working. I've traced it down to the following line in
Perl:

my $nbr_msgs = `grep -ce "^From " "$returned_dir/$sender"`;

Seems innocent enough right? Here's the error message:

C:\Cygwin\bin\perl.exe: *** couldn't release memory 0x9D4000(1032192)
for 'C:\Cygwin\lib\perl5\5.8.0\cygwin-multi-64int\auto\Fcntl\Fcntl.dll'
alignment, Win32 error 487

13 [main] perl 1040 sync_with_child: child 5780(0x648) died before
initialization with status code 0x1

I searched winerror.h to find;

#define ERROR_INVALID_ADDRESS 487L

Any ideas?

Looks like a rebase issue, though I thought that only Win95/98/ME are affected by this.

Ugh! I hate rebase things. Just feels like a kludge to me. Anyways, assuming it is rebase issue how do I fix it (what's the command (ah duh, rebase I know) and it's parameters?)

Does the failure happens sporadically or on regular basis now?

Well if I put the above Perl snippet into a small script it works OK but in my larger script it fails. I can step through the Perl debugger to that statement and then attempt to step through it and it fails every time. After the above error I get the same error again and again...

You don't have updated perl or cygwin before this happend the first time?

I do believe I updated Cygwin about a week or two ago. Haven't run into this problem until last night. Then again I don't think I ran this particular script until last night either...