Re: Map Backspace to ASCII DEL?

Dr.D.J.Picton wrote:
Actually, rxvt has a native Windows mode (which will run if DISPLAY is unset),
although it probably requires some of the X11R6 .dll files to run.  So you
could try using rxvt in place of a standard console by changing cygwin.bat
to do:

rxvt -backspacekey ^? -deletekey ^h -e bash --login &

Wow, go figure, it does run in a native window. That is pretty darn cool. Well, so far so good. I've got the keys mapped the way I want them. I like the way Cut/Copy/Paste works. I like that selections are line by line, as opposed to rectangular. Scroll wheel works. So far no problem with full screen apps such as emacs and less.

The only problem I noticed was the small font (which you can change by pressing
the '+' key on the keypad in conjunction with the shift key) and the
fact that the DISPLAY variable is set (which could be fixed with an /etc/profile
hack.)

Good tips. I used to use xterm so rxvt seems pretty straight forward. I just had no idea it would run native like that.

Many Thanks!

Ian