Re: Why do I get "make: command not found" (FAQ alert?)

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Larry Hall wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Richard Elsberry wrote:
> >
> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>What am I missing? When I try to run $make I get the message "bash:
> >>make: command not found." I've tried searching all of the archives. The
> >>version is 1.3.22-1.
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>Richard
> >

> > You're missing the "make" package.  In the future, if you'd like to find
> > out which package contains a particular command, use the package search
> > page at <http://cygwin.com/packages/> and search for, in this example,
> > "bin/make(.exe| )".
> >       Igor
> > P.S. I had a nagging feeling this was somewhere in the FAQ, but couldn't
> > find it.  If it's not there already, could this be added?
>
> Looks like I goofed on my reply and sent it only to Richard.
>
> The FAQ entry for this is:
>
> What packages should I download?
> <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_toc.html#TOC13>
>
> But I wouldn't mind if it were augmented to something like the following:
>
> What packages should I download or how do I find out which package xxx
> utility is in?

Larry,

That FAQ entry doesn't answer Richard's question at all (and is not very
intuitively related, since you need to know in advance that you're missing
some package to find that entry useful).  I'd suggest having a *separate*
"Where can I find {make|more|...}" FAQ entry with the above contents, and
cross-reference the entry you mentioned from there.  That should supercede
the 'Where can I find "more"' entry (<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_4.html#SEC52>),
which is outdated and misleading.
	Igor
--