Re: Win2k and cygwin memory leak

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 09:32:16AM -0400, Brian.Kelly@empireblue.com wrote:
>>Looking at RAMpage's code and reading the description, I see nothing
>>that indicates it would solve this supposed "memory leak" problem.  All
>>that it does is allocate a huge chunk of memory and free it, forcing
>>any fragmented memory out onto disk.  I really don't see how that would
>>cause any improvement in anything related to a memory leak.
>
>I do not know much, but I do know this.  With RAMpage running 4 times a
>day, my server stays up.  Without it, it crashes.  The only thing
>running on the box other than the naked OS and backup software and
>Anti-virus, is cygwin and cygwin installed apps.  I agree with you to
>the extent that it certainly doesn't *solve* the *supposed* memory leak
>problem.  But it keeps my server up and I'm sure it will help others
>too.

If RAMpage is truly solving your problem then you should stop referring
to the problem as a memory leak.  AFAICT, although the web site is very
misleading, RAMpage does not do anything to fix "memory leaks".  It just
defragments memory.  It even says that it is not likely to fix problems
on newer OSes like Win2K.

cgf