Re: postgresql, cygwin newbie, issues

Michael Teter wrote:

Howdy.

I and to run PostgreSQL on Cygwin.  I've found a few differing "guides" of how
to do this, but I'm unable to get any to fit my situation.

I have CYGWIN_NT-5.1 with "all" packages downloaded and installed.  I'm
running XP Pro SP1.  Guides I've found for Postgres+Cygwin tell of running
ipc-daemon, then starting postgres.

I found ipc-daemon2 in the cygipc package (which had to be specifically
selected in cygwin setup, despite my having specified during install that I
wanted everything.

THE PROBLEM: when I run ipc-daemon2, I get a windows error dialog that states:
Title: ipc-daemon2.exe - Entry Point Not Found
Body: The procedure entry point __getreent could not be located in the dynamic
link library cygwin1.dll.

Suggestions?

Incidentally, I find it odd that Postgres is included in Cygwin when it can't
be used, or not without seeking out external packages.

Thanks for any help or pointers to information.

You're mixing stuff up.  You've installed cygipc version 2, which is
built for the test release of the upcoming Cygwin 1.5 DLL.  But postgresql
isn't built against this yet.  You should run setup again, leave the
'Curr' button selected, and let it install whatever it thinks it needs
to.  That will give you consistent binaries for Cygwin 1.3.22.  Then
read <http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-05/msg01125.html>.  This
contains pointers to all the information you need to know to install and
configure PostgreSQL.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 838 Washington Street (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746