Re: Erroneous complaint about being unable to run emacs

Matthew O. Persico wrote:

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 12:57:31 -0400, Larry Hall wrote:

Matthew O. Persico wrote:

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 10:35:04 -0500, Bill McCormick wrote:

Martin Cohen Wrote:

The reason for this is that my McAfee firewall was
set (due to my mistake) to not allow emacs to access the
internat. This caused the failure above.

I do not know why emacs (and other applications, such as
xclock) need to access the internet, but allowing them to
allows them to run.

Emacs (and must programs X programs) use TCP/IP sockets to communicate to Xserver.

Agreed, but what really bugs me is this:

Emacs has to use TCP/IP to look for an XServer, but the best it can
to is look at 127.0.0.1 and then $DISPLAY. Sooooo, assuming that
both are on the same machine, why is McAffee
detecting an attempt to get to the Internet? Shouldn't they both
resolve to the LAN? Unless McAffee/Norton and the ilk monitor the
TCP/IP stack and put up "messages" before the
destination is decoded, assuming the worst?

Is this a rhetorical question?

No, I really don't know exactly what McAffee or Emacs do under the covers. I was just supposing based on observed behaviour outside of Cygwin.

Right.  Well then a little research along the lines of what I suggested
below is probably your best bet.  Of course, there's always some
possibility that someone else on this list might choose to research this
problem for you if you'd prefer to "wait and see".  Unfortunately, I can
only offer the advice I've provided so far since I don't have any specific
insight into emacs or McAffee.

If not, you could debug Emacs to look for the answer, although I
expect it
comes down to the internals of Winsock.  But, if you can't find a
good
reason there, then it must be a McAffee issue.  Actually, you might
want
to start there anyway.  A review of their knowledge base might
provide
some insights.  If you do find that this is some wierd Cygwin issue,
report it back to this list.

Holliston, MA 01746