Re: How to resolve a link?

Chris,

At 18:29 2003-07-22, Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 09:23:13PM -0400, David A. Cobb wrote:
>Recently, I was trying to do "strace Xemacs . . ."
>First I got a "No such file" error, so I changed to do "strace `which
>xemacs` " -- still a failure.
>
>which xemacs returns "/usr/local/bin/xemacs.exe.lnk"; that is, my normal
>handle to launch xemacs is a symlink to the executable whose name or
>location varies with the version-number.
>
>Given that its purpose is to locate what executable file one will use in
>a particular environment, should not 'which' resolve the symlink and
>return its target?

No.

>What would happen on *nix?

The same thing as on cygwin.

Really?

Since Cygwin "strace" is not a Cygwin program, it does not get Cygwin symbolic links resolved. Whereas on Unix or Linux, a symlink would be resolved by the kernel if it was used by strace and it (strace) would successfully get its target executed.

So wouldn't the behavior on Cygwin differ from a comparable invocation on Linux or Unix?

Randall Schulz