Re: Problem with dereference option on Windows LNKs (shortcuts)

(http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/winsup/cygwin/path.cc?cvsr
> oot=src) but didn't find anything specific that said that they aren't
> treated as symlinks. I'm not familiar with the source but there was a
> section:
[snip code]
> I don't know what this all means but it implies to me that it will at
least
> attempt to read the shortcut file. Is it possible to parse through regular
> shortcut files too?

Possible to write code to do this? Yes, of course, but probably not
desirable, see below.
Possible to set an option to cause this? No, not currently, and probably
never.

Importantly, a Cygwin symlink contains a *POSIX* path. The fact that the
symlink is also a windows shortcut is essentially just decoration.
Obviously, a normal shortcut does not contain a POSIX path. It would
probably be possible to deduce one, but there are good reasons for not doing
so: Extra data (icon, etc.) would be removed when shortcuts were saved and
restored with tar, for example.

Max.